Thursday, July 16, 2009

Singer 500a Slant Shank "Rocketeer"

I dropped on the BIGGEST bargain last weekend.....

A Singer 500a "Rocketeer" sewing machine.




These fantastic machines were made between 1960 and 1963 (mines a 1960 model) They are amazing machines and currently selling on ebay for around $300... yes a 50 yr old sewing machine is getting top dollar, and it deserves it.

They are inarguably one of THE top machines ever made by singer. Even now the stitch quality on the one I've just bought is amazing. The machine is the quietist I've EVER owned (and I've owned a fair number of machines over the years) and they have some super add ons.

This one only had 1 foot with it, only one of the spool pins were intact, and there was only 1 bobbin, so I'm going to have to buy a few things to go with it. That doesnt matter tho... seeing them on ebay at $300 with next to nothing with them convinces me that I have the bargain of the year. This fantastic machine cost me THREE dollars, yep, just $3... no zeros on the end........

Just think what profit I could make if I was ever crazy enough to sell it. I'm not going to tho. I sew for a living at Jaki's Attic and the quality of sewing I can produce with this machine is far superior to anything I've been able to do with the new ones. The singer 500a was the rolls royce of singer sewing machines in its time, selling for around $150 when new. In 1960 that was a LOT of money , but these machines are built to last. My modern machine clunks along quite noisily, and refuses to sew elastic properly, the 500a whirrs along quietly sewing anything I give it.

Its supposed to be able to sew through several layers of denim, and leather etc, but I havent tried it on that yet.... I'll let you know how I get on when I put it to the test.

I'm now on the outlook for attachments, I've just bought a button holer... it looks like a great little tool. I HATE making button holes, so hopefully this little gadget will cure me of that. I cant wait for it to arrive :) I was also looking at a monogrammer, but I think I might hold off on that for just a little while until I get a good collection of feet and some cams..... it has a good collection of built in stitches, probably more than I'll ever actually use, but it also takes cams for additional decorative stitches. Its not so much a case of needing them, its a case of ' I Want them because they're there lol (I'm not a spoiled brat honestly!!!)



1 comment:

  1. what a nice machine i just buy one for 10$ and like new with cabinet i am so happy i have 10 old singer it is like a passion when you start that i am from Québec french canadian whit mine there is a lot of attachments lot of houres to play

    ReplyDelete